Almond Cookies with Lemon Glaze (Grain and Gluten Free)
These almond cookies with lemon glaze are so delicious and easy to make. They don’t contain any grains, which makes them perfect for people who avoid gluten. You can serve them as a dessert, snack, or pack them in a lunch box. They can give you some extra energy if you have them with your afternoon tea of coffee. Since they are low on sugar and high on nutrients, they won’t make you crash like most cookies you buy at the store. Read the blog post to learn why should you prepare them and all the tips you need to be successful.
Why should you make this recipe?
These cookies are easy to make. You don’t need any fancy equipment to make them. If you have a baking pan a bow and a spoon you are good to go. They also don’t require you to have any experience as a baker.
The batter for the almond cookies with lemon glaze is made with only five ingredients. All of them are easy to find in any grocery store.
Almonds are delicious and nutritious nuts. They are rich in vitamins, monounsaturated fats, protein and fiber.
The lemon flavor in this recipe comes from an actual lemon not from a lemon extract. I use the zest and the juice of one lemon. I don’t like to add artificial or natural flavors in my recipes since they are all made in a lab.
I used a tablespoon to scoop out the batter and I got 22 cookies.
If your batter is too dry and you can’t form a cookie, add another tablespoon of butter.
Cool off your cookies before adding the glaze on top.
The glaze should be runny but not see thorough when you glaze the cookie. If the gaze is to thin add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick squeeze some more lemon juice.
Baking may take 13-15 minutes. I recommend staring a timer as soon as the cookies are in the oven and check them after 10 minutes. Nuts can burn fast.
These cookies are crunchy at first but they get softer after they are glazed.
Store them in an airtight container on the countertop. They don’t need to be refrigerated.
Almond Cookies with Lemon Glaze
For the cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 5 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 5 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- the zest from one lemon
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 355F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the almond flour, melted butter, maple syrup, baking soda and the zest of one lemon. Stir until well combined.
- Form 22 balls and press them between your palms to form disks. Line them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- The cookies will be slightly soft when they are out of the oven. Leave them in the pan for 5 minutes before trying to remove them on a cooling rack.
- While they cool off make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with the lemon juice. Stir until you have a mixture without any lumps. The consistency should be like a glue.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of glaze on top of each cookie and allow it to set for few minutes before serving.