Baby Eggplant Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
I’ve created this baby eggplant salad with lemon tahini dressing after a trip to a local farmer’s market. I fell in love with these beautiful baby eggplants. Once I bought them, I started thinking of creative ways to cook them. I thought of the lemon, yogurt and tahini dressing almost immediately. Eggplant goes so well with these flavors. I love that I have the opportunity to buy fresh, locally grown summer fruits and vegetables.
I believe that is very important to buy local produce. Locally grown vegetables are much more nutritious, because they are picked when they are ripe. Also, they don’t travel long distances to reach to the customer. I try to support local farmers as much as possible. Every week I visit the farmer’s market in my town and buy more produce than I need. I get so excited when I see the beautiful summer fruits and vegetables.
Why Should You Make it?
The baby eggplant salad with lemon tahini dressing is nutritious and delicious. It is high in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and protein. Eat the salad as a light vegetarian main meal or a side dish. It is low on carbohydrates and high in fiber. This salad is also naturally gluten free. The probiotics in the yogurt support healthy digestion and stimulate the immune system.
The dressing is absolutely irresistible. I use extra dressing as a dipping sauce for the grilled eggplant. It is so tasty!
If you can’t find baby eggplants use regular eggplants instead. They can be sliced in rounds or lengthwise. If you want to make the salad vegan, you can substitute the yogurt with one that is plant based. I don’t recommend exact amount of salt in the recipe because the level of saltiness in different brands is specific. Use your own judgement when it comes to seasoning.
Baby Eggplant Salad With Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1 ½ pounds baby eggplants
- 1 Tbsp oil (neutral tasting is best)
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon
- 1 medium sized garlic clove
- salt to taste
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Wash and split the baby eggplants in half. Score the inside of each half with a knife in a crisscross patten.
- Preheat a grill to high. Grease and salt the eggplants and grill them skin side up first.
- Depending on the size of the eggplants grill them for 2-3 minutes per side. They are going to change color from purple to brown and soften when they are ready. Once cooked, place them on a plate and allow them to cool down.
- To prepare the dressing combine the yogurt, tahini, pressed garlic, the zest of one lemon and one tablespoon of the lemon juice. Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the grilled eggplants. Chop some fresh parsley and sprinkle it on top (optional).