Breakfast Bowl With Yogurt Figs And Honey (Gluten free)
This breakfast bowl with yogurt, figs and honey is one of my favorite ways to start the day. It is delicious and very easy to prepare. The recipe contains only five healthy ingredients, and you can make it in five minutes. Also, you don’t have to heat up or cook anything.
To prepare this recipe, top a bowl of yogurt with sliced figs. Crumble up some of your favorite cinnamon crackers and add walnut halves on top. Finally, drizzle as much honey as you want for sweetness and enjoy.
You can make this recipe for breakfast snack or dessert. You can also pack it in your lunch box as long as it has an ice pack to keep it cold.
Ingredients for the breakfast bowl
This breakfast bowl is filled with nutritious ingredients that are going to keep you energized throughout the day. It is also gluten free.
- yogurt – contains probiotics which have a beneficial effect on digestion and immunity. Yogurt is also high on protein and calcium.
- walnuts – delicious and nutritious. Rich in protein, fiber, monounsaturated fats and antioxidants. Nuts may contribute to heart health, weight loss and may reduce inflammation.
- honey – it has so many benefits for the immune system. Raw honey can contain variety of antioxidants, vitamins and digestive enzymes. It also has lower glycemic index than sugar. This means that it promotes better blood sugar regulation.
- figs – high in fiber, calcium and antioxidants. Although, they are very sweet they actually may help regulate blood sugar. They have a type of fiber that slows down the absorption of sugar. They are an excellent prebiotic and may help with digestion.
- honey cinnamon thins by Simple Mills (or brand that you like)-I like to use those cookies in my breakfast bowls because they add some texture, taste and extra nutrition. They are made with nuts and seeds and are gluten free. The cinnamon taste of the cookies goes so well with the honey and the figs.
Please note: I’m not affiliated with Simple Mills. I just love their honey cinnamon thins and I decided to use them in my recipe. None of the links I provided are affiliated with the brand.
Helpful tips about making the breakfast bowl
For this recipe I used full fat homemade yogurt. You can use whole Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt contains more protein than regular plain yogurt. If you are vegan, you can also use coconut yogurt.
If you can’t find figs, you can use apples or other seasonal fruit.
I use raw, local honey for optimum nutrition. If you prefer you can substitute honey with maple syrup or sweetener of your choice.
This recipe serves one, but you can make as many servings as you like.
I like don’t think that storing leftovers for long is a good idea because the crackers absorb moisture from the yogurt and get soggy. Also, fruit might wilt and taste bad after being in the yogurt for too long.
Breakfast Bowl With Yogurt Figs And Honey
- 1 cup yogurt I used whole (homemade)
- 3 fresh figs or to taste
- honey to taste
- ¼ cup raw walnuts or nuts that you prefer
- honey cinnamon thins by simple mills to taste
- Add the yogurt in your favorite bowl.
- Wash and cut the figs lengthwise to four slices. Place them on top of the yogurt.
- Crumble some honey cinnamon thins on top. Add walnuts and drizzle with honey to taste.
- Serve right away.