Bulgarian Green Peas Stew (Vegan and Gluten Free)
I know the recipe for Bulgarian green peas stew from my mother. I ate it very often as a child and now I prepare I for my family. My grandpa used to have a land where he grew all kinds of fruits and vegetables. I loved it when he came to see us and brought a basket full of fresh green peas, new potatoes and carrots. My mom usually used these ingredients to make that stew.
Why should you make this recipe?
My number one reason is flavor. The combination of delicious summer vegetables with fresh dill and smoked paprika is so good. I also love popping the green peas in my mouth. It is so satisfying.
The Bulgarian green peas stew is vegan and gluten free. Unlike other stews there are no starches and thickeners added to this recipe. It doesn’t contain any wheat or corn starch. This makes it suitable for people with gluten allergy or celiac disease.
This stew is loaded with nutrients. The vegetables are great source of vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. They also boost the immune function and fight inflammation.
This recipe is not hard to prepare, but there are few things that you should know before you start cooking.
Preheat the oil to medium high before you add the chopped onions and carrots. You should hear sizzling when you add them to the pot. You need to caramelize them for few minutes before adding the water. One of the most important steps is to salt them generously. That will help release the water from the cells of the vegetables. This step helps develop the flavor of the stew.
Paprika burns very fast. As soon as you add the paprika to the vegetables, stir and the water. If you burn the paprika the flavor of the stew will be bitter.
Add the vegetables in order of cooking times. Potatoes need more time to cook than peas. That is why they go in as soon as the stew is boiling. Next you add the garlic and the peas. The dill needs to taste fresh, so you add it before serving.
Store the stew in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Bulgarian Green Peas Stew
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika sweet paprika works too
- 5 medium sized garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 lb russet potatoes peeled and cut to an inch and a half pieces
- 2 cups frozen peas
- a bunch of fresh dill chopped, stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the onion and carrot finely.
- Add the oil into a pot and preheat to medium high. Add the chopped onion and carrot to the pot and sauté them for 3-5 min. The vegetables should become slightly softer. Then add salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Stir and add 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and taste for seasoning. If needed add more salt and pepper. Then add the potatoes cut to 1½ inch pieces.
- Chop the garlic finely and add it to the pot.
- Lastly add 2 cups of frozen peas and cook until all vegetables are softened (15-20 min).
- When the stew is ready check for seasoning again. Remove from the heat and add the chopped dill.