Buttery Bread Rolls (Step by Step Photos and Video)
If you want to impress your family or guests you should make these buttery bread rolls. They look so pretty and taste amazing. To make them you need simple ingredients that most of you already have at home. They go so well with any meal. Serve them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Bring them over for a potluck, game night or a party. They could also be a great addition in your kid’s lunch box. You can combine the buttery bread rolls with sliced cheese and cold cuts. They are so soft and pillowy on the inside and they have the flakiest crust. I’ve created this step by step post with an instructional video to guide you.
How to Measure Flour?
Always scoop more flour than you need in your cup and use a knife to level it off. If you have a scale use it, because measuring ingredients by weigh is always more accurate. One cup of flour contains exactly 4 oz or 125 grams of all purpose flour.
What should you know before you start?
When you are making the dough never add the yeast and the salt together. I usually add the yeast to the liquid ingredients and salt to the flour. Salt can inhibit the yeast.
Proof the dough away from AC vents and drafts. The dough should be well covered. I use a slightly warm oven to rise my dough. I start is at 170F for a minute or until the temperature reaches 110F and I turn it off. Sometimes I place the bowl with the dough in the microwave, without starting it or warming it in advance. It is very isolated space, without any drafts and I’m able to achieve great results.
Different brands of flour may create different results. The amount of the flour may differ depending on the brand. Your goal is to produce soft and elastic dough that is not sticky. I use Canadian brand of all purpose flour called Five Roses.
Buttery Bread Rolls
- muffin pan
- 1 ½ cup whole milk slightly warm 120F
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp butter at room temperature or melted
- Toppings: sesame, poppy seeds, salt or everything bagel seasoning
- Extra: flour for dusting and a tablespoon of milk for the egg wash and nonstick cooking spray
To prepare the dough
- Slightly warm up the milk in a microwave (for about 30-40 seconds). It needs to be warm, not hot.
- Add the milk, sugar and yeast in a deep bowl. Then separate the egg white from the egg yolk. Add the egg white to the bowl with the milk and the egg yolk to a separate small bowl. We are going to need the egg yolk for the egg wash.
- To the bowl with the milk add 2 cups of flour and a teaspoon of salt. Start stirring using a wooden spoon or a stand mixer (on low). Once the ingredients are well combined you will have a very sticky dough. Gradually add another cup of flour and continue mixing. If the dough is still sticky add a bit more flour. If you don’t have a stand mixer you can transfer the dough on a floured surface and knead until you have a soft and elastic dough.
- Cover the dough (in the bowl) with plastic wrap or towel and allow it to proof for one hour.
To form the rolls
- After the dough doubles its size, transfer it on a flat floured surface and cut it to 12 equal pieces. Form 12 balls.
- Spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- On a floured surface roll each dough piece to an imperfect rectangle and spread some butter on top.
- Make several vertical cuts at the bottom of the rectangle (look at the video).
- Roll the dough from top to bottom (towards the cut).
- Then bring one end or the roll towards the middle to form a spiral. Place it in the well of the muffin pan. Repeat the same process with the remaining 11 pieces of dough.
To make the egg wash
- Add a tablespoon of milk to the egg yolk you separated earlier and stir it well. Use a food grade brush to glaze each bread roll with the egg wash. Top with sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning and coarse sea salt.
- Place the muffin pan in a slightly warm oven (110F) and allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes.
- When the dough buns are double in size preheat the oven to 360F without removing the muffin pan from the oven. Set a timer for 30 minutes.(Start the timer while the oven is preheating with the muffin pan inside).
- Once the bread rolls are baked remove them from the oven but leave them in the muffin pan for 5 minutes to cool off. Then place them on a cooling rack. Enjoy while they are still warm.