Cauliflower Rice Bake with Zucchini and Tomatoes (Gluten Free)
Today I’m going to offer you a delicious and nutritious vegetarian recipe. I used to make this recipe with white rice, but right now I’m trying to lose some weight and I decided to replace it with cauliflower rice. It turned out so good that I had to share it with you.
The cauliflower rice bake with zucchini and tomatoes is low in calories and carbs. Since it doesn’t contain any wheat and grains it is naturally gluten free. You can serve it as a side or main dish. I can assure you that it is very tasty, and you won’t miss the meat.
Why should you make this recipe?
This recipe is contains mostly vegetables. Consuming more vegetables can help you feel healthier and more energized. Many of us gained some extra pounds during the Winter. Filling your plate with vegetables instead of simple carbs, sugars and red meat may help with weight loss. The cauliflower rice bake with zucchini and tomatoes contains five different vegetables. All of them are rich in fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. There are so many benefits for you in a single serving.
This recipe is also gluten and grain free. It is suitable for people who avoid gluten and grains. People with celiac disease and gluten allergies can consume this meal without any worry. Furthermore, the casserole is low on carbohydrates and beneficial for those on keto and low carb diets.
To make this casserole you need to make cauliflower rice. I prefer making it in the food processor, but if you don’t have one you can also use a box grater. To make cauliflower rice in the food processor you can use the blade or the grater attachment.
In this recipe I want you to sauté the cauliflower rice before baking. This step is necessary to remove some of the funky cauliflower smell. It also helps to reduce the amount of water and to soften it a little bit.
Cooking the vegetables in advance takes some time but it is needed. You have to sauté the onions, garlic and the cauliflower rice for few minutes. Then cooking the zucchini.
Peeling the tomatoes is optional. I don’t like to eat peels of cooked vegetables and that is why I take this extra step.
You can either pan fry, grill or bake the sliced zucchini. I found out that baking them at 400F for 10 minutes i s way quicker than cooking them in a pan.
Remove the cauliflower rice from the stove top before you add the cream cheese and the eggs.
Depending on the size of the cauliflower you might need a different size of baking dish. I’ve prepared this recipe in square dish with 9 inch sides and in a rectangle dish (13 x 5 inches).
Also, depending on the baking dish you’ve used the serving sizes might be 4 or 6.
Cauliflower Rice Bake with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Food processor
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves chopped finely
- 2 medium sized zucchini sliced thinly
- 3 fresh tomatoes sliced thinly
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves chopped finely
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated mozarella
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use a food processor or a grater to make the cauliflower rice.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Slice the zucchini thinly. I used a mandolin. Season them with salt, pepper and some olive oil. Line them on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or pan fry them for about 30 seconds a side.
- Preheat a deep pan to medium high. Add a tablespoon of oil and the finely chopped onion and garlic in the pan. Sauté for a minute and then add the cauliflower rice. Cook for 3-5 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat. Add the cream cheese and the chopped basil to the cauliflower rice and stir until is well incorporated.
- Crack two eggs in a bowl and whisk them with a fork. Add them to the cauliflower rice, and stir well.
- To peel the tomatoes. Add a pot with water at the stove and bring it to a soft boil. Prepare a bowl with cold water and ice. Make a little cross looking cut to the skin of the tomatoes and place them in the boiling water for 20 seconds. Remove the tomatoes from the hot water and place them in the ice bath. After this procedure their skin will fall off easily.
- Brush oil on the bottom and the sides of a baking dish with. Divide the cauliflower rice mixture to two equal parts. Then spread one part at the bottom of the pan as evenly as possible.
- On top of the cauliflower rice mixture place one layer of cooked zucchini.
- Peel and slice the tomatoes to thin slices.Then layer the tomatoes on top of the zucchini and season them with some salt.
- Continue layering until you are out of vegetables. Spread the rest of the cauliflower rice on top of the tomatoes, then more zucchini and finish with a layer of tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then add the grated mozzarella on top and continue baking for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.