Cheesy Loaded Mashed Cauliflower (Low Carb)
This Cheesy Loaded Mashed Cauliflower is one of my favorite side dishes. It is an excellent low carb replacement for mashed potatoes. It can be served as a side dish to a meat or fish. I prepare it often when we have guests over and they always ask for the recipe. So, here it is…
Why should you make it?
Cauliflower is a low calorie vegetable that is very high in fiber. For this recipe I pair it with other high calorie ingredients. Therefore, I cannot say that this recipe will necessarily help you lose weight. But it is suitable for people who are on a low carb or keto diet.
Cauliflower is also a good source of vitamins and antioxidants. Due to its high fiber content this vegetable is also an excellent food for better digestion. People that dislike cauliflower have to try this recipe, because I promise you cannot taste it. The butter, bacon fat, the melted cheese and the garlic create a flavor that stimulates your taste buds and makes you crave another bite.
Who is it good for?
The recipe is suitable for people who avoid carbohydrates. Those could be diabetics or people on a low carbohydrate diet. But it is called cheesy loaded mashed cauliflower for a reason. Because of the bacon, cheese, and butter it is high on saturated fat, which might not be the best option for people with high cholesterol and heart problems. Although, fat makes it taste so great.
My daughter loves this side dish. In the past I served it to her friends, and they enjoyed it too. I think that most kids dislike cauliflower but when it is loaded with cheese and bacon, they will eat it without complaining. Try to serve it to your kids and let me know what they think.
Cheesy Loaded Mashed Cauliflower
- 2 slices bacon (I add the bacon fat to the mash too)
- 1 head of cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled, medium sized)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- Cook the bacon in a heated pan. Remove and place it on a paper towel. Safe the fat. Then crumble or cut the bacon.
- Fill a big pot with water and bring it to a boil. Then add 1 tsp of salt, cauliflower florets and the garlic to the pot.
- Boil until the cauliflower and garlic are soft (about 15 min).
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Drain the water and return the cauliflower and garlic to the pot.
- Add the butter, the bacon fat and ½ teaspoon salt to the pot and mash them together. You can use a potato masher or an immersion blender.
- Scoop the mashed cauliflower into a baking dish . I use two 6 x 4 inch or one 8 x 8 baking dish for that recipe.
- Top it with the cheese and bake for 5-7 minutes. Until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and add the bacon and chives on top.
- Serve while still hot.