Coconut and Coffee Flan (Gluten and Dairy Free)
One of my favorite desserts is flan. I love the smooth and silky texture and that sweetness that melts in my mouth. The idea for this coconut and coffee flan came to me when I was cleaning the pantry. I saw a can of coconut milk that was about to expire in a month. At our home we don’t throw away food, so I had to use it in a recipe right away. Right next to that can of coconut milk was a jar filled with instant coffee. Coffee and coconut go so well together that I started thinking about dessert recipes with these two ingredients. The coconut and coffee flan turned out so good that I decided to share it with you.
Why should you make this recipe?
If you like creamy desserts, you would like this one. It has an amazing coffee, coconut and caramel flavor. Also, this flan is not very sweet. The bitterness from the coffee is balancing the sweetness.
This dessert will help you recharge. The caffeine is natural stimulant that helps you focus and function better.
This recipe doesn’t contain any dairy products, grains and refined sugar. I use coconut sugar which is less refined and has а lower glycemic index.
Make sure to be very careful when you are pouring the coconut milk mixture to the eggs. If it is too hot it might scramble and cook the eggs. For best results cool it off slightly and add it a tablespoon at a time while stirring constantly.
When you make the water bath be careful not to add any water into the bowls with the flan. The water should reach no higher than the middle of the bowls.
What is instant coffee?
It is made from dry coffee extract. Don’t confuse it with espresso powder. It is way more concentrated, and a little bit goes a long way. I used Nescafe for this recipe, but you are welcome to use whatever brand you like. You can find instant coffee at every grocery store.
If you desire you can serve the flan with whipped coconut or heavy cream and dust it with instant coffee.
Please note: the coconut fat comes at the surface of the flan when it bakes. It creates a layer of plant based saturated fat that is not very pleasant to consume. If you don’t like the taste and texture of the top layer, you can use a spoon to remove it before serving.
Coconut and Coffee Flan
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 320F/160C.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut sugar, the instant coffee and the vanilla in a small pot. Heat them to medium high and stir until the sugar and coffee are dissolved. Then remove from the heat.
- In a bigger pot crack the egg open and whisk them until you break the egg yolks. Slowly add the coconut milk mixture to the eggs while whisking.
- Separate the mixture between 5 oven safe bowls. Prepare a water bath by pouring water in a deep baking pan. Then add the bowls with the flan in it the water bath.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the flan is completely set. Refrigerate the flan for at least two hours before serving.