Cookies with Hazelnuts Coffee and Chocolate Chips (Gluten Free)
Everyone who loves me knows how much I love chocolate with hazelnuts. I love to have it as a dessert or a snack, but my favorite way to enjoy it is with a cup of coffee. There is nothing better than sipping a strong coffee and snacking with a nutty chocolate. These cookies with hazelnuts, coffee and chocolate chips are inspired by that experience.
Why should you make this recipe?
The most important reason is flavor. Trust me, these cookies are delicious. They are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Most cookies have a lot of empty calories and are not very nutritious. I have good news for you. This cookie recipe is very high in nutrients and low on sugar. I made the cookies with only five ingredients.
They don’t contain refined sugar, flour and baking powder. I used coconut sugar, ground hazelnuts instead of flour and the whipped egg whites act as a leavening agent. The chocolate chips I’m using are from Choc Zero and are sweetened with monk fruit. Therefore, this recipe is gluten free. Even if you aren’t on any diet, it is good to have a sweet treat that will make you feel good. Hazelnuts are high on protein, healthy fats and fiber. Coconut sugar is a natural, less refined sweetener that is lower on the glycemic index on sugar. This means that it won’t cause spikes in your blood sugar. Egg whites are also high in protein and low in cholesterol.
These cookies with hazelnuts, coffee and chocolate chips are not hard to make but there are some essential steps you have to take.
How to make the meringue?
To make the meringue you have to whisk the egg whites at high speed. Add the sugar and the coffee one tablespoon at a time while beating the egg whites. When you add the hazelnuts and the chocolate chip to the egg whites fold them in slowly and carefully. Do not whisk because you are going to lose the air in the meringue.
What is instant coffee?
It is made from dry coffee extract. Don’t confuse it with espresso powder. It is way more concentrated, and a little bit goes a long way. I used Nescafe for this recipe, but you are welcome to use whatever brand you like.
To make them low carb use monk fruit sweetener or erythritol. Make sure that they are 1:1 sugar replacement.
This blog post is not sponsored. I love the products of Choc Zero and I use them all the time in my baking. The link will give you $15 off your first purchase and I will get $15 off any of my furniture purchases.
Cookies with Hazelnuts Coffee and Chocolate Chips
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup coconut sugar white will work too
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips I used ChocZero
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325F
- In a food processor process the hazelnuts until they are very finely ground.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to beat the egg whites. Az soon as they start foaming gradually add the sugar and the coffee (without stopping the mixer). Mix until you have stiff peaks.
- Add the hazelnuts to the meringue and fold them in carefully. Then add the chocolate chips and continue to fold it in the batter.
- Scoop about 20 equal sized heaping tablespoon of batter to the baking sheets. Add few more chocolate chips on the top of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 20-25 minutes or until they set and are slightly golden around the edges. Allow them to cool off on the baking sheets for 10 minutes.
- Then remove them with a spatula and put them on a cooling rack. If they stick too much they might need more baking.