Crispy Okra in an Air Fryer (Keto, Gluten Free)
II’ve created the recipe for crispy okra in an air fryer when we came back from this year’s vacation. During our last trip we ate so much deep fried and breaded foods. We needed to have something healthier and nourishing. That is why I decided to make my recipe lighter. For the breading I used almond flour, spices, and Parmesan cheese. I also used an air fryer to prepare the okra. My family loves crispy fried okra, so I surprised them by serving it as an appetizer before dinner. This recipe turned out so well that they asked me to make it again the next day. Everyone loved it so much that I had to share it with you.
Why should you make this recipe?
Okra is a nutritious and low in calories vegetable. It also contains valuable antioxidants and fiber. The breading in this recipe is made from almond flour, spices, and some Parmesan cheese. Every serving of this appetizer is high in protein, fiber, and monounsaturated fats. This recipe is also low on carbs and gluten free. Lactose intolerant people can consume the crispy okra without any unwanted side effects because the Parmesan cheese doesn’t contain lactose. The lactose in aged cheeses is eaten by the bacteria during the fermentation process.
This recipe is also very delicious. The crispy okra has a slightly nutty and smoky flavor that goes so well with a glass of cold beer. I highly recommend that combination.
For this recipe I like to cut the okra horizontally to create fries. If you prefer you can cut it vertically or leave it whole. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time according to the size.
Everyone who knows me knows that I like to shred my cheese. I don’t buy cheese that is already shredded, because it contains a bunch of preservatives and anti-caking agents. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to consume that.
To remain crispy, you should consume this appetizer right away. The longer it sits out the less crispy it gets. Leftovers are usually soggy because the okra releases the water it contains. I recommend serving and consuming it right away.
If you don’t have an air fryer you can fry the okra in a deep frier or bake it in a convection oven. If you decide to deep fry it, make sure to preheat the oil to medium high beforehand. Don’t get the oil too hot, because it is going to burn the almond flour, while the okra remains raw. This will make this appetizer taste bitter.
Crispy Okra in an Air Fryer
- 1 lb fresh okra
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- Wash the okra and slice it in four lengthwise.
- Break two large eggs in a bowl and whisk them well with a fork.
- In another bowl add the almond flour, smoked paprika, grated Parmesan salt, onion and garlic powder. Mix well until combined.
- Dip the okra slices in the eggs first and then in the almond flour mixture. Continue until you are out of okra.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F. When ready, spread the breaded okra in the fryer basket in a single layer. Spray the okra with a nonstick cooking spray before cooking. Air fry the okra for 10 minutes shaking the basket halfway through. Continue cooking in batches until you run out of okra.
- Serve while it is hot.