Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Muffins with Ripe Bananas (Video)
Every time I have overripe bananas at home, I prepare these double chocolate whole wheat muffins. They are so delicious and moist. This recipe is quite healthy because the muffins are sweetened with maple syrup and prepared with a whole grain. This doesn’t make them less sweet, because you have sweetness coming from the bananas and the chocolate chips. You won’t be able to tell that they are prepared with whole wheat flour either. The texture is so good.
Why should you make this recipe?
These double chocolate whole wheat muffins are so delicious and nutritious. They are also fast and easy to prepare. You can make them in 30 minutes and serve them to your loved ones for breakfast or snack. You can also take them on the road with you. They don’t require refrigeration and will be soft and tasty for at least 3-4 days. I love to pack them in my daughter’s lunch box. They are excellent nut free snack option.
Since there are whole wheat flour and bananas in the ingredients these muffins are rich in fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
How to measure flour? Always scoop more flour than you need in your cup and use a knife to level it off. If you have a scale use it, because measuring ingredients by weigh is always more accurate. One cup of flour contains exactly 4 oz or 125 grams of all purpose flour.
For this recipe I use cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. The cacao powder is raw and less processed. It is very important to use unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder for this recipe.
If you prefer you can substitute the maple syrup with honey or agave syrup.
If you use dark or vegan chocolate this recipe is going to be dairy free. I usually use semi-sweet chocolate chip or whatever I have in the pantry.
I use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin tin nests but you can use a regular spoon or a measuring cup.
These muffins bake on high temperature so make sure to check them after 10 minutes of baking. Every oven is different, but my oven bakes them for 13-15 minutes.
Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Muffins with Ripe Bananas
- Hand or stand mixer
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup cooking oil of choice I use avocado or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ unsweetened cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips of choice I use semi-sweet or milk
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a muffin tin with paper cups and spray them with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl peel and mash the bananas. Then add the egg, maple syrup, oil and the vanilla. Beat on low until combined. Add the flour, baking and the cacao powder. Stir on low until there are no lumps.
- Save ¼ cup of the chocolate chips and add the rest to the batter. Stir well. then scoop the batter and fill the muffin cups (about ¾ full). Add few chocolate chips in each muffin nest.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- After the muffins are baked leave them in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer them on a cooling rack. Once they are completely cooled off transfer them in a box with a lid and store them on the countertop for 3-4 days or in the fridge for a week.
Other recipes you might like
Flourless Banana Peanut Butter Muffins (Gluten and Grain Free)
Double Chocolate Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Swirl (Healthy)
Three Ingredient Cookies with Banana and Coconut (Gluten Free)