Easy Chocolate Cherry Cake (Video)
This easy chocolate cherry cake is so delicious. Unlike many other recipes this one calls for fresh, not canned cherry. This desert is perfect for those slightly bruised cherries that nobody wants to eat. I’ve created this recipe, because I bought way too many cherries and we couldn’t eat them all raw. I didn’t want them to go to waste, so I decided to make a chocolate cake and add them to the batter. Who doesn’t like chocolate and cherries? They go so well together.
At first, I thought to make a regular cake with layers and delicious filling, but I honestly didn’t have the time to do it. So, I decided to prepare a brownie-like dessert. I used a basic chocolate cake recipe that I know in my head and I added some cherries to it. It turned out better than I expected. My family loved it and wanted me to bake another one. For the second batch I tweaked the recipe slightly and I added more chocolate chips to it. That made the recipe even better.
Why should you make this recipe?
I usually try to create recipes that are tasty and healthy. Most of the desserts in my website don’t contain refined flour and sugar. This chocolate cherry cake is nothing like that. That doesn’t mean that it is bad for you because it also contains some valuable nutrients. Also, it is so delicious that it feeds not just the body but the soul. There are foods in this world that are meant to keep us sane and happy. This dessert is an example of that. I don’t believe in strict and restriction diets. I think that unless you have a serious health condition or a food allergy, you should enjoy everything in moderation.
You can melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave, but I create a water bath. This means that I put a pot of simmering water underneath the bowl with the chocolate and I stir until it dissolves. Do not allow for the water in the pot to boil because it will ruin the texture of your chocolate. Also, be careful not to splash any water in the chocolate.
You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave, but stir it occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
Whisk the eggs with the sugar on high speed until the sugar is dissolved. Then add the slightly cooled mixture of melted chocolate and butter. If you add the mixture while it is still hot you might cook the eggs and ruin the texture of the cake.
For this recipe I used coconut sugar, but you can substitute with regular white sugar. I just prefer the caramel taste of the coconut sugar.
You can use any chocolate that you like for this dessert. I used milk chocolate chips from Choc Zero. This brand makes chocolate sweetened with monk fruit. It taste just like regular chocolate and I use it all the time when I make desserts.
This blog post is not sponsored. I love the products of Choc Zero and I use them all the time in my baking. The link will give you $15 off your first purchase and I will get $15 off any of my furniture purchases.
Easy Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 4 oz chocolate chips about 1/2 cup (I used milk)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar I used coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ lb raw cherries
- nonstick cooking spray
- more chocolate chips for topping
- whipped cream for serving optional
- Start by melting 4 ounces of the chocolate chips and butter. You can do it in a microwave oven or create a water bath (detailed description in the blog post). Set aside and allow some time to cool off.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 355F. Line an 8 inch round pan with parchment paper and spray the sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- Then wash and slice your cherries in half to remove the pits.
- In a mixing bowl add the eggs and the sugar and the vanilla extract. Beat on high speed until the sugar is dissolved. Then gradually add the melted chocolate while mixing.
- Finally add the flour and baking powder. Mix on low until the flour is incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and stir.
- Transfer the cake mixture in the pan and top with the cherries and some more chocolate chip.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow some time to cool off before serving. Top with whipped cream (optional).