Easy Mediterranean Pita Sandwiches With Shrimp. Made on the Grill
These Mediterranean pita sandwiches are bursting with flavor. They are packed with shrimp, and vegetables and topped with a zesty yogurt sauce. These pita pockets are so easy to prepare. The cooking time is only ten minutes, and the cooking method doesn’t require any stirring or cleaning. To cook the shrimp and the vegetables you have to make a big foil pocket and I add them in it. Then seal it and place it on the preheated grill. In ten minutes, your dinner will be ready. No need to preheat an oven and heating up the entire house. No need of extensive cleaning of pans and pots.
Once you take the foil packet off the grill you open it carefully, because there is a lot of hot steam. You can eat the cooked shrimp and veggies right away or you can make some pita sandwiches. I stuffed whole wheat pita pockets with the cooked vegetables and shrimp. Then I added some fresh veggies for better texture, and I drizzled with a delicious yogurt sauce.
Why should you make these Mediterranean Pita Sandwiches
Make them because they are super delicious. The taste of the shrimp with the vegetables and the yogurt sauce is exceptional. With every bite those Mediterranean flavors take me on a trip to Greece. This is the food I will want to eat if I travel to this beautiful country.
You should also make this recipe because it is easy and fast to prepare. After you prep the shrimp and vegetables you place them in a foil packet which goes on the hot grill. The cooking time is only ten minutes. Then you can serve right away or use the shrimp and veggies to make some delicious sandwiches.
There is minimal cleaning with this recipe. Since you cook in a foil packet there are no pots and pans. There is also no need of spatulas and wooden spoons because there is no stirring. Your grill will stay clean because it doesn’t have a direct contact with the food. Once you finished eating store any leftovers in the fridge and throw away the foil packet. All you have to clean is a knife, a cutting board and the plates you used to serve the food.
These Mediterranean pita sandwiches are good for you. All the ingredients I used to prepare them are not only delicious but also very nutritious. There are six vegetables, protein, dairy, heart healthy fats and whole grain bread in this recipe. Therefore, one sandwich is a complete meal. The combination of macronutrients will keep you full for longer. This meal is high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids.
How to make a foil packet?
Use a heavy-duty aluminum foil to prepare a foil pocket. Cut a long strip (mine was about 2 feet long) and fold in half. The place where you fold the foil will be the base of the foil packet. Fold the long sides (both) three times and press down to seal. Once you do that you will have a foil bag with an opening on top.
Fill the foil bag with the shrimp, vegetables, lemon, olive oil, seasoning and fresh herbs. Then fold three times to seal it. Shake the foil packet gently to combine all the ingredients and place on the preheated grill.
Helpful tips about making the Mediterranean Pita Sandwiches
For this recipe I use jumbo shrimp, which is about 16/20 shrimps per pound. You can use any shrimp that you like, but make sure to reduce the cooking time for smaller shrimp.
The easiest way to know if your shrimp is cooked is to watch its color and texture. The color turns from gray to pink. Also, the texture changes from translucent to solid.
I use fresh thyme, oregano and dill in this recipe. I understand that not everyone has a fresh herb garden like me, but I recommend using fresh rather than dry herbs for this recipe. It makes such a difference.
I prefer to use cow feta in brine. This is my favorite type of feta because it is creamy and milder in taste. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find. I buy it from an international store, or I order it online. You can use whatever feta you have and like. I don’t recommend using feta that is already crumbled, because it has additives and anti-caking agents.
When I use lemon peel and zest, I always buy organic lemons and I wash them very well.
I used whole wheat pita pockets and fire roasted peppers from Trader Joe’s.
You are in control of the salt in this recipe because you know your own preference.
Be careful with the hot steam. Handle the hot foil packet with oven mitts and heat resistant utensils. Keep a distance from the foil packet when you try to open it. Do not put your face, hands or other exposed body parts near the steam.
Fillings and toppings
- Tomato – I used large heirloom tomatoes
- Cucumber – my favorite option for sandwiches is a long, seedless, English cucumber
- Roasted red pepper from a jar- this is totally optional. I had some peppers in my pantry and decided that they will go well.
- Arugula – I love it so much. You can find it in many of my recipes
- Feta – my favorite cheese. I grew up eating it and I put it on everything
Easy Mediterranean Pita Sandwiches With Shrimp
For the yogurt sauce
- 1 cup Plain or Greek yogurt I used whole
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
- the zest of one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
For the shrimp foil pocket
- 1 lb large shrimp (16/20) peeled and deveined
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 red onion
- ½ lemon
- 4 medium sized garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- few sprigs of fresh thyme and oregano
For the pita sandwiches
- 2 whole wheat pita bread or white if you prefer
- 1 tomato
- ½ seedless English cucumber
- roasted red pepper from a jar (optional)
- feta cheese for topping
To prepare the sauce
- In a bowl, add the yogurt, chopped dill, lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste and stir. Set aside.
To prepare the shrimp foil packets
- Preheat the grill to high. (Max heat)
- Clean the shrimp. Slice the zucchini, lemon and the onion to thick rounds. Peel the he garlic cloves and chop them in thirds.
- Make a foil pocket. Tutorial in the blog post and video.
- Fill the foil pocket with the zucchini, onion and lemon slices. Then add the shrimp, fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Close the packet and shake it gently to stir.
- Place the foil packet on the hot grill and close the lid. Grill for 10 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to remove the hot foil pocket from the grill and turn off the heat. Place the foil pocket on a large plate. Keep your oven mitts on when you try to open the foil packet. Cut it open with a knife from a safe distance. Be careful, there is hot steam!
To make the pita pockets
- I wrap the pita bread in foil and place it on the hot grill for a minute. Then slice the pita in half and open the pockets.
- Slice the cucumber and tomato thinly.
- Fill the pita pockets with some yogurt sauce and add some shrimp, cooked zucchini and onions. Then add few slices of cucumber, tomato and roasted red pepper. Top with more sauce, fresh arugula and crumbled feta.