Healthy Almond Joy Cookies (Vegan and Gluten Free)
These healthy Almond Joy cookies are so delicious. Not only do they taste good, but they are also good for you. They taste like the popular Almond Joy bar but in a form of a crunchy cookie. Unlike the candy bar, these cookies are prepared with quality ingredients.
Why should you make them?
The idea about the healthy Almond Joy cookies came to me right after I finished my daily workout. I was craving an Almond Joy candy bar, but I didn’t want to eat something that will ruin my progress. I workout very hard to feel good about myself. So, I started thinking about how I can make a similar tasting treat with healthy ingredients that I already have at home. I was so happy that my crazy idea worked so well. These cookies are so tasty and satisfying. I love how crunchy and sweet they turned out.
Also, the cookies are naturally gluten free. They don’t contain any refined sugars and flours. I made the dough with almond flour, shredded coconut and organic coconut oil. Also, I use maple syrup and dark chocolate to sweeten them. I can assure you that you are not going to end up with diabetes if you eat too many of these cookies. The maple syrup is low on the glycemic index and will not cause fast rise in blood sugar. The dark chocolate that I used is from Choc Zero and it doesn’t contain sugar. They use monk fruit to sweeten their chocolates.
As much as I like the taste of the Almond Joy candy bar, the ingredient list is scary. It is loaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup and trans fats. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to put this into my system.
If you want to make these cookies vegan use a very dark or vegan chocolate.
You can also make them low carb if you use stevia and low carb chocolate for sweetener. Nowadays there are many healthy, natural low carb sweeteners on the market. To make them Paleo use sugar and dairy free chocolate.
You can get from 22 to 26 cookies out of this recipe, depending on how big you make them.
Store the cookies in a closed box or a cookie jar on the countertop for 4-5 days. No refrigeration is required.
This blog post is not sponsored. I love the products of Choc Zero and I use them all the time in my baking. The link will give you $15 off your first purchase and I will get $15 off any of my furniture purchases.
Healthy Almond Joy Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 6 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 oz dark chocolate (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 355F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the almond flour, shredded coconut, baking soda, maple syrup and the melted coconut oil. Stir well until you get a wet sand consistency.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture and roll it between your palms to make a ball. Then flatten it to form a disk and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with until you run out of dough.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- The cookies will be slightly soft when they are out of the oven. Leave them in the pan for 5 minutes before trying to remove them on a cooling rack.
- Allow enough time for the cookies to cool off. Then melt the chocolate and drizzle it on top.
Other recipes you might like
Low Carb Cinnamon Coconut Cookies