Homemade Chicken Ramen Noodles
I’ve created the recipe for homemade chicken ramen noodles because of my daughter. She just loves ramen and all noodles in general. Sometimes when the school bus drops her off at the library, she receives a free box of instant ramen. The employees at the library reward students with food for being quiet. I always tell her not to eat that processed ramen because it has zero nutrients. Also, it is so high in sodium that can stop her heart. The answer is always the same, “but mom it is delicious.”
One day I told her that I could make her a better tasting ramen at home. That night I made her homemade chicken ramen noodles. She loved it so much that she never wanted to eat the instant version again. Over time I developed this recipe even more. Now I can honestly tell that I can make the best tasting ramen at home.
Why should you make this recipe?
Ramen is well known and loved. The rich Asian broth combined with the tasty noodles, the juicy chicken and the crunchy vegetables are a flavorful experience. If you prepare your marinated chicken the night before, you can cook this Asian dish in thirty minutes. It takes less time than to order takeout or to go out for dinner.
How to make the soft boiled egg?
How to make the perfect soft boiled eggs?
Remove the eggs from the refrigerator. Fill a medium pot with enough water to cover an egg. Bring the water to boil. Use a spoon to add the eggs to the boiling water. Then set a timer for 6 minutes for smaller eggs and 7 minutes for bigger eggs. Once the timer beeps use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs from the boiling water and place them in the ice bath. Cool off for few minutes and peel. They should be with a runny egg yolks and firm egg whites. You can also use my recipe for a marinated ramen egg.
Homemade Chicken Ramen Noodles
- For the chicken marinade
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves finely minced or pressed
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp Sriracha sauce
- For the ramen broth
- 4 cups no salt added chicken stock I make my own
- 5 green onion stalks use only the white parts for the broth
- 4 medium sized garlic cloves whole
- one piece of ginger around 2 inches
- ½ cup soy sauce
- Other ingredients
- 13 oz dried ramen noodles
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms remove the stems
- 1 lb fresh or frozen broccoli
- 4 large eggs soft boiled
- Toppings optional
- green onions the green parts
- sesame seeds
- red chili flakes
- Combine all the ingredients for the chicken marinade in a large ziplock bag or a container with a lid. Mix them well and add the chicken. Marinate for at least an hour. Best if you leave it marinate overnight.
- When the chicken is done marinating preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the chicken thighs on a baking sheet. Set a timer for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes and flip. Then bake for another 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Set the chicken thighs aside.
- While the chicken is baking place two pots on the stove. Add all the ingredients for the broth: chicken broth, white parts of the scallions (no need to chop them), garlic cloves (whole), ginger and the soy sauce to one pot and bring to boil. Then lower the temperature and simmer for 15-20 minutes. In the other pot add water and bring to a boil. Cook the dry ramen noodles according to package directions.
- While the broth is simmering and the noodles are cooking cut the chicken thighs to a bite-size pieces.
- When the broth is done simmering for at least 15 minutes strain it to remove the garlic, ginger and the scallions. Then return it back to the pot and to the stove.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and broccoli to the broth and boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the noodles evenly among four bowls. Use a ladle to divide the broth evenly and pour over the noodles. Top with the cooked ramen noodles, baked chicken, soft boiled egg and the green parts of the green onions.
- Other possible toppings are red chilly flakes and sesame seeds.