Homemade Chipotle Mayonnaise (Video)
This homemade chipotle mayonnaise is my favorite condiment. I always have it in my refrigerator. I serve it as a dipping sauce for vegetables. It goes well with meat too. I love the chipotle mayonnaise on burgers, chicken and shrimp. Used as a sauce it can transform the most boring meal into a dish you can’t wait to eat. It adds an irresistible smoky and spicy flavor that is hard to resist.
Why should you make it?
Most brands of mayonnaise sold at the store are filled with stabilizers and preservatives. You can also see high corn fructose syrup or cane sugar in the ingredients. I personally think that sweeteners and preservatives are absolutely unnecessary. No mayonnaise should last four months to a year. No real food lasts that long. There are only four simple ingredients in my homemade chipotle mayonnaise recipe. Preparing it is easy and it takes just one minute. Once you make the mayo it doesn’t need to last four months to a year because it is so addictive it will be gone in a couple of days. Honestly, I don’t know how I lived without it before.
Where to find chipotle salsa? I love chipotle salsa and I always have it in my pantry. You can find it at the ethnic section of any Walmart, Target or other big grocery store. Usually, I buy the San Marcos chipotle salsa. When I take the amount that I need for the recipe I pour the remaining salsa in a jar with a lid and store it in the fridge for a week.
Is eating raw egg safe? Most people consume sunny side up or poached eggs regularly without having any problems. If the egg yolks you consume are still runny, then you are eating raw eggs. Consuming uncooked eggs is associated with a risk of Salmonella contamination. Although the chances of you getting infected are very minimal. Fresh eggs from reliable sources are totally safe to eat raw.
Store the chipotle mayonnaise in a jar with a lid and in the refrigerator. Expiration date depends on the expiration date of the egg you’ve used. It can also decrease with opening the jar and scooping out of the mayonnaise too often. In my fridge the chipotle mayonnaise doesn’t last more than two days because I’m eating it obsessively. Try it and tell me what you think.
Homemade Chipotle Mayonnaise
- Immersion blender
- 1 large egg (cold from the fridge)
- 1 cup sunflower oil (you can substitute for an oil that you like)
- 2 Tbsp chipotle salsa (I use San Marcos or La Costeña)
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (I squeeze several drops straight form the lemon)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Add the egg in na wide mouth Mason jar. Be careful not to brake the egg yolk.
- Carefully add the remaining ingredients to the jar.
- Insert the immersion blender and place the blade over the egg yolk.
- Turn it on the highest setting and do not move it for at least five seconds.
- Then slowly move the blender up until emulsion forms. Then up and down until the rest of the oil incorporates.
- Store in a sealed container or closed jar for no more than a week.