Keto Fish Sticks (Three Methods of Preparation)
If you are trying to avoid carbohydrates, you have to try these keto fish sticks. They have the most delicious coating made form pork rinds, parmesan almond flour and spices. The recipe is gluten free, grain free and low carb. Once you try it you won’t miss the traditional fish stick breading. Also, they take only thirty minutes to prepare.
Why Should You Make Them?
You need just few ingredients to make these keto fish sticks. The content on the boxed fish sticks, sold at the frozen section, is huge. In order to make fish last for years producers use a ton of preservatives and stabilizers. Some of them are hard to pronounce. Believe me, you don’t need a laundry list of ingredients to make great tasting fish sticks at home. I think that great tasting food should be made from simple, well known ingredients. I live by a simple rule. If you don’t know how to pronounce it don’t eat it.
Can you bake or air fry them?
Yes! Although, I personally prefer them fried. They are more crispy and juicy when they are fried.
Air fry method: preheat an air frier to 400F, spray the basket with nonstick spray and place the fish sticks. Do not pile them up. Leave half and inch of space between them. Cook for 5 minutes and then flip for another 5 minutes of cooking.
Oven method: preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and slightly grease it. Place the fish sticks about half inch apart at the baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes per side.
Keto Fish Sticks
- 1 pound cod other white fish works too
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup ground pork rinds I grind them in a food processor
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ grated parmesan
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup frying oil I use sunflower oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the fish into long strips with equal size and salt it on both sides.
- In a food processor add pork rinds and grind them until you get about a cup.
- In a bowl combine the ground pork rinds, the almond flour, the parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and the smoked paprika.
- In another bowl brake the eggs and stir them well.
- Put a small pan or pot at the stove/burner and fill it with ½ cup of frying oil of choice. Preheat the oil to medium temperature.
- First dip the fish into the eggs and then into the pork rind and almond flour mixture.
- Fry the fish sticks in batches for about two minutes per side (depending on thickness).
- Once they are ready drain the excess fat by placing them on a paper towel or a cooling rack. Add salt and paper to taste.
- Serve them while they are still warm.