Keto Shrimp Cakes (Gluten Free)
These keto shrimp cakes are so juicy and tender. They disappear the minute I serve them. They are also grain and gluten free. Serve them as an appetizer or a main dish and you are going to impress your loved ones. You need only 30 minutes to prepare them. Therefore, they are an excellent fast dinner idea for busy nights.
I’ve created this recipe when my daughter decided that she no longer likes shrimp. She loves crab cakes, so I thought I could make them with shrimp instead. I had to think of a new way to cook seafood that she will enjoy. Happily, for me, she loves this recipe so much she forgets that the main ingredient is shrimp. Every time I make them, she wants me to double the recipe.
Why Should You Make Them.
Seafood goes so well with lemon and dill. It is one of my favorite combinations. These keto shrimp cakes taste so fresh. They are perfect for the hot summer days. Also, you know that everything tastes better when you add some cheese to it.
Shrimp is a great source or lean protein high in essential omega 3 amino acids. Also, this shrimp cake recipe doesn’t have any grains or starches added as a thickener. They are gluten free and low in carbohydrates. So, they could be suitable for diabetics and people who avoid gluten.
Kids Love Them
I served these shrimp cakes to many of my daughter’s friends and they all loved them. Sometimes I pack them in my daughter’s school lunch, and she says that other kids wanted to try them and loved them very much. I always pack more than she can eat because I know she shares with her friends.
Please note that I’m not a doctor and my advice is not medical.
You are going to need a food processor for this recipe. If you don’t have one you can chop the shrimp finely with a knife. Then add it to a bowl and combine it with the rest of the ingredients.
I used a tablespoon to scoop the shrimp mixture and I ended up with 15 shrimp cakes. That makes about 3 servings. You can always double the recipe if you feed more people.
Store leftover shrimp in a container with a lid in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. You can reheat them the microwave before serving or have them cold.
Keto Shrimp Cakes
- 1 pound raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup mayonnaise neutral tasting is best
- ¼ cup shredded cheese of choice Mozzarella and Cheddar are best
- the zest from one lemon
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped or pressed
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp oil for frying I use avocado or sunflower oil
- Clean and devein the shrimp.
- Add the shrimp in a food processor and pulse it a few times. You want the shrimp to be diced not puréed. If you don’t have a food processor you can chop the shrimp with a knife to smaller pieces.
- Add the shrimp to a bowl. Then add the mayonnaise, shredded cheese, lemon zest, pressed garlic, chopped dill and the salt to the bowl. Stir well until combined.
- Place about a tablespoon of oil to a frying pan and place it on a burner. Preheat the oil to medium high.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture into the frying pan. Then press it down to form a flat patty. I use a small cookie scoop, but you can use a tablespoon too.
- Fry the shrimp cake about two minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Continue frying the shrimp cakes in batches adding more oil as needed.
- Place the shrimp cakes on a kitchen paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Serve them warm.