Lime and Coconut Cookies (Vegan and Gluten Free)
These lime and coconut cookies are so delicious and nutritious. They are vegan, grain, gluten and dairy free. The dough contains nuts, healthy fats, and maple syrup. Every cookie is topped with a yummy lime glaze and a sprinkle of shredded coconut.
This recipe was inspired by my healthy Almond Joy cookies and my almond cookies with lemon glaze. They turned out so good that I decided to create more recipes like this.
Why should you make this recipe?
I would say that the most important reason to make these cookies is taste. Lime and coconut are the perfect pair. Every bite of these cookies teleports me to a tropical island under a palm tree. The slight acidity of the lime pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the coconut.
These lime and coconut cookies are easy to make. You don’t need any fancy equipment to make them. If you have a baking pan a bowl and a spoon you are good to go. They also don’t require you to have any experience as a baker.
This recipe is grain, gluten and dairy free. It is also vegan. This makes it suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
The flavors in these cookies are coming from from actual coconut and lime. There are no natural or artificial food flavors added.
In this recipe I use two drops of plant based food coloring. I’m not a supporter of traditional food coloring. There are studies that link food dyes to hyperactivity, allergies and even some types of cancer.
I used a tablespoon to scoop out the batter and I got 22 cookies.
I use an organic lime and I wash it very well before zesting.
If your batter is too dry and you can’t form a cookie, add another tablespoon of coconut oil.
Cool off your cookies before adding the glaze on top.
Using a coloring for the cookies is totally optional. I use just two drops of plant based food coloring to achieve this neon green color of the glaze.
The glaze should be runny but not see thorough when you glaze the cookie. If the gaze is to thin add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick squeeze some more lime juice.
Baking may take 10-13 minutes. I recommend staring a timer as soon as the cookies are in the oven and check them after 10 minutes. Nuts can burn fast.
These cookies are crunchy at first but they get softer after they are glazed.
Store them in an airtight container on the countertop. No need of refrigeration.
Lime and Coconut Cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut plus more for topping
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 6 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 drops plant based food coloring optional
- Preheat the oven to 355F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the almond flour, coconut flour, shredded coconut, baking soda, maple syrup, and the melted coconut oil. Finally add the zest of one lime. Stir well until you get a wet sand consistency.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture and roll it between your palms to make a ball. Then flatten it to form a disk and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with until you run out of dough.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- The cookies will be slightly soft when they are out of the oven. Leave them in the pan for 5 minutes before trying to remove them on a cooling rack.
- While they cool off make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with the juice from one lime and the food coloring. Stir until you have a mixture without any lumps. The consistency should be like a glue.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of glaze on top of each cookie and top with extra shredded coconut.
2 thoughts on “Lime and Coconut Cookies (Vegan and Gluten Free)”
I adore cookies with lime and these look amazing!
Thank you so much! I hope you make the recipe and share how you liked the cookies.