Low Carb Cauliflower Taco Casserole (Gluten Free)
I love this low carb cauliflower taco casserole. It is one of my favorite meals. I’ve created this recipe when I was on a low carb diet and I was craving Mexican food. I knew I couldn’t have corn or wheat tortilla. I didn’t want to ruin my progress, so I also avoided adding beans and corn. To my surprise the casserole turned out so satisfying that I didn’t miss anything. My daughter loved it too. She said that this is the best casserole I’ve ever made and she had three servings.
Why should you make it?
Even if you aren’t following a low carb or keto diet this is a delicious option for a main meal. This casserole is loaded with vegetables. If you decide to prepare this recipe you will serve a nutritious and delicious food to your loved ones. This casserole contains protein, vegetables and dairy in it. Vegetables are high in fiber and vitamins and ground beef is an excellent source of protein and B12. Dairy is high in calcium and is enriched with vitamin D.
This low carb cauliflower taco casserole is also grain and gluten free. There are no starchy thickeners like flour or potato starch in it.
Please Note: I’m not a doctor or a dietitian. Everything written in my blog post is my own opinion. I’m not qualified to give medical advice!
I love to serve this casserole with some sliced avocado and sour cream. Black olives are one of my favorite toppings for this casserole. They go so well with Mexican food. Sometimes I’m in a mood for spicy food and I make this casserole extra hot by drizzling some chipotle sour cream on top. I make it by combining sour cream with chipotle salsa. I love to use this chipotle sour cream for fajitas and quesadillas too. Another recipe on my blog that goes well with chipotle sour cream is Chicken Fajita Lettuce Cups.
Low Carb Cauliflower Taco Casserole
- 1 head of cauliflower medium sized
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil I use avocado oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 pound ground beef any ground meat works
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies 15 oz
- 4 oz cream cheese half package
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add some salt to it.
- Cut the cauliflower to small florets and add it to the boiling water. Boil 5-10 minutes (depending on florets size) or until slightly soft.
- While the cauliflower is boiling, put a pan on the stove with one tablespoon of oil and heat it up. Add the onion to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes or until slightly soften. Then add the ground beef to the pan. Break it apart with a wooden spoon to small chunks and cook until no longer pink.
- Add salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cumin to the pan and stir well.
- Next add the canned tomatoes and chilies to the pan. Finally add the cream cheese and stir until it is incorporated in the meat and tomato mixture. Taste for seasoning and more salt and pepper if needed. Turn off the heat and set the pan aside.
- Drain the cauliflower from the water and set aside.
- Add half of the meat and tomato mixture in a baking dish (I use 13 x 5 inches). Then add half of the cauliflower. Follow by the rest of the meat and tomato mixture and finish with the cauliflower.
- Add a cup of shredded cheddar on top of the casserole by spreading it evenly on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and broil for 2-3 minutes at the end.
- Serve with chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream or some fresh squeezed lime (optional).