Meat and Egg Muffins (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
These meat and egg muffins are so good. You can serve them for any meal, but I love making them for breakfast. They combine four of the most popular breakfast foods, meat, eggs, vegetables and dairy.
Who are they good for?
They are perfect for anyone who is hungry. Especially good for people who don’t eat gluten and grains. Suitable for diabetics or people who are on a low carb or keto diet. They might also be good for active people and growing kids.
They are not only delicious way to start the day but they also are packed with nutrients. The meat and egg muffins are high in protein and B12 and low in carbs. The onions and mushrooms provide vitamins and fiber.
Best ways to enjoy them.
Served as a tasty breakfast they can give you the energy you need to start the day. They can also be eaten for lunch and dinner with some roasted vegetables or a salad. The meat and egg muffins are great for meal prep, office and school lunches. I often pack them as my daughter’s lunch. She loves them so much that her lunchbox always returns home empty.
What if I don’t eat mushrooms?
The recipe is very flexible and can be adjusted to your likings. You can substitute or add vegetables that you like. Furthermore, you can choose ground meat that you prefer. They can be made with sausage, turkey, or ground chicken. You choose. I have made them Italian, with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella or Greek with olives and feta. Just unleash your imagination and improvise.
If you pack these meat and egg muffins for a lunch, you need to use proper containers. You will need to use a thermos, vacuum insulated box or jar if you want to eat them hot. Heat them well before putting them in the thermo box. If you prefer to have them cold, don’t forget to add an ice pack in your lunch bag. You can store them in the refrigerator 3-4 days.
Please Note: I’m not a doctor or a dietitian. Everything written in my blog post is my own opinion. I’m not qualified to give medical advice!
Meat and Egg Muffin
- 1 lb ground meat of your choice (I use a mix of pork and beef)
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 6 eggs (one egg goes in the minced meat)
- ½ cup shredded cheese of choice (I used cheddar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- nonstick spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl add the ground meat, chopped onion, chopped mushrooms, oregano, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and one egg.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- In a separate bowl whisk the five eggs, shredded cheese, chives and salt and pepper.
- Divide the meat mixture among the muffin tin openings, pressing it down and to the sides to form cups.
- Pour some egg mixture into each meat cup.
- Bake 15-17 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave them in the muffin tin for five minutes to slightly cool them down. I use a butter knife to remove them from the muffin openings.