Mediterranean Green Bean Casserole (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
This Mediterranean green bean casserole is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes. It is not the typical American green bean casserole. The flavors for this recipe are influenced by my childhood. As a child I used to eat tomatoes with feta and eggs for breakfast. My mom often served cooked green beans with dill and garlic as a side dish. So, for this casserole I combined some of my favorite childhood flavors in one.
Why should you make it?
This casserole is high in nutrients, low on calories and rich in flavor. One serving is only 152 kcal. The vegetables provide vitamins and fiber. The eggs and the feta are high on protein and calcium. The Mediterranean green bean casserole can be a light main meal or a side dish. I love to prepare it during the summer and serve with a salad. You can also make it for a potluck or bring it to a game night. I can assure you that this casserole will be a crowd pleaser.
Who is it good for?
This dish is good for diabetics because it is low on carbohydrates. Unlike the American green bean casserole, it doesn’t have any flour, thickeners and starches. This makes it gluten and grain free. People with celiac disease, gluten allergy or sensitivity can consume it without any problem. Vegetarians can try to add variety to their menu by preparing this casserole. It is very filling and satisfying.
It is also suitable for kids. My daughter loves green beans and she is very happy when I prepare this casserole for her. I often pack leftovers in her school lunch.
Store the casserole in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. It can be served warm or cold. Freezing is not recommended.
Check the quality of each egg before adding it to the casserole.
Dishes that contain eggs shouldn’t be left out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. Harmful bacteria can grow quickly and cause serious illness.
Mediterranean Green Bean Casserole
- 2 lbs green beans (washed and with trimmed ends, cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil I use sunflower oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce (use as clean as possible, no added spices)
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed or chopped finely)
- ¼ cup chopped dill (divided)
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, trim the ends of the green beans and cut them to 2 inch pieces.
- Put a pot filled with water on a burner and bring it to boil.
- Once the water is boiling add some salt to the pot and cook the beans in the boiling water for 10 minutes.
- While the beans are boiling preheat the oven to 380F.
- Add the tomato sauce, the garlic, ½ of the dill and salt and pepper salt to a bowl and stir. Set aside.
- In another bowl add the eggs, yogurt, feta and the other half of the dill. Stir well and set aside.
- Grease a baking dish (9 in x 7 in) using one tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Drain the beans from the water and place ½ of the beans in a deep baking dish. The green beans have to be enough to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Next pour the tomato mixture over the beans.
- Next add the rest of the green beans followed by the egg and cheese mixture.
- Bake 20-30 min at 380F. Until eggs get firm.
- The dish can be served warm or cold.