Mediterranean Zucchini Boats (Gluten Free)
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables. I love them fried, baked, stuffed and raw. I think that they taste very neutral and they go well with a lot of ingredients. During the hot summer days, I was craving a light meal without any meat. That is when I’ve created the Mediterranean zucchini boats. The combination of zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, feta and basil tastes like a summer salad with roasted vegetables.
Why should you make this recipe?
This meal is versatile. You can serve the Mediterranean zucchini boats as an appetizer, side or main dish. They will also go well with a piece of fish or meat. The zucchini boats are even amazing on their own as is a light vegetarian dinner option.
This recipe is gluten free and low on carbohydrates. Therefore, it is suitable for diabetics and people who avoid gluten. The zucchini boats are high in nutrients. The vegetables I used for this recipe are high in vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. The feta cheese and the eggs are good sources of protein and calcium.
If you plan to have guests over, the stuffed zucchini boats are always a good idea. They look appetizing and are going to impress your guests. You can also bring them to a potluck or a barbecue party. They go very well with grilled meat.
Store leftover zucchini boats in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Best if you store them in a dish covered with a lid.
Check the eggs for freshness before you add them to the zucchini filling.
I prefer using feta sold in a block and crumble it myself. You can use crumbled feta too. Just keep in mind that producers add starches and anticaking agents to all crumbled or shredded cheeses. This will increase the amount of carbohydrates you consume.
Mediterranean Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium sized zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 1 roasted bell pepper (peeled and seeded)
- 1 large tomato I used three small ones
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- First peel the tomato. Bring a small pot with water to a boil. While you wait for the water to boil prepare a bowl with cold water and ice. Make a cut in a form of an x at the bottom of the tomato and place it in the hot water for 10-20 seconds. Then remove the tomato and put it into the ice bath for a minute. The peel will fall right off the tomato.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wash the zucchini, trim the ends and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop the insides of the zucchini with a small spoon. Then chop the scooped insides to small cubes and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Then chop the tomato and the roasted, peeled bell pepper to small cubes and add them to the bowl with the zucchini.
- Add the pressed garlic, chopped basil, ½ teaspoon of salt and the feta to the mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl crack the eggs and stir them well. Then add them to the mixing bowl with the other vegetables and stir well.
- Put the scooped out zucchini in a deep baking dish and salt with the rest of the salt (½ tsp). Then fill them up with the vegetable, egg and cheese mixture.
- Carefully add about ½ cup of water to the bottom of the baking dish or pan. Cover it with an aluminum wrap tightly around the top part of the baking dish in order to steam the zucchini. Then place the baking pan/dish into the hot oven and bake for thirty minutes.
- After the thirty minutes of baking are past carefully remove the aluminum foil and drizzle the olive oil on top of the zucchini. Then bake 10 more minutes without the foil.
- They are good served warm or cold.