Mexican Chipotle Meatballs. Super Cheesy and Easy
These Mexican chipotle meatballs are the perfect easy and delicious meal for busy days. You can make them in no time and serve them with your favorite sides and toppings. You can prepare and serve them quicker than any takeout and they will satisfy your craving for Mexican food. These meatballs are juicy, cheesy and slightly spicy. To boost the chipotle flavor even more I like to serve them with chipotle sour cream dipping sauce. I make this sauce for any Mexican dish I prepare at home. I go so well with quesadillas, burritos and tacos.
Why should you make the Mexican chipotle meatballs
If you need an easy and full of flavor meal you should make this recipe. People of any age love meatballs. When they are small, they are easy to eat and you prepare them for a gathering or a game night.
I love to serve these Mexican chipotle meatballs with rice, avocado, cherry tomatoes and tortilla chips. You can improvise with the toppings and sides however you want.
These meatballs are gluten free and low carb if you eat them on their own. If you are on a low carb diet, you can replace the rice with cauliflower rice or salad.
Helpful tips about making the meatballs
Give a taste to your jalapeño before you add it to the ground beef. If it is too spicy you might have to add less. That depends on your preference and tolerance for heat.
I use gloves when I cut jalapeños and remove their seeds. If you use bare hands, avoid touching your face and eyes. That might cause redness and burning.
Where to find chipotle salsa? I love chipotle salsa and I always have it in my pantry. You can find it at the ethnic section of any Walmart, Target or other big grocery store. I usually buy the San Marcos chipotle salsa. When I use the amount that I need for the recipe I pour the remaining salsa in a jar with a lid and store it in the refrigerator for a week.
I used a small cookie scoop to form the meatballs and I ended up with eighteen meatballs. Depending on what you use you can get a different number.
Food Safety Tips
Cook ground beef until the internal temperature reaches 160F. Consuming raw or undercooked beef may cause food poisoning. You can use a food thermometer to check the doneness of the meatballs.
To avoid food poisoning never keep the meatballs for more than two hours outside of the refrigerator.
Store leftover meatballs in a food safe container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat before serving.
Mexican Chipotle Meatballs
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Jalapeño pepper finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste I added 1 tsp salt
For the chipotle sour cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp chipotle salsa I use
- cooked rice, avocado, cherry tomatoes, tortilla chips
- 8 oz grated cheese I used Mexican blend
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil I used avocado oil
- Add a cast iron pan (or other oven safe pan) in the oven and preheat it to 400F.
- In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the meatballs (ground beef, chopped onion and jalapeño, egg, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, chipotle chili powder, salt and pepper to taste). Mix well to combine the ingredients.
- Form 18 small meatballs. I used a small cookie scoop to make them the same size.
- Once you form all the meatballs and the oven is preheated use oven mitts to take out the hot cast iron pan and add the cooking oil in it. Then add all the meatballs. Make sure that they are not touching.
- Return the pan with the meatballs in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Then take the pan out of the oven and use tongs to turn the meatballs. Then add the cheese on top and return in the oven. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the meatballs have an internal temperature of 160F.
- To prepare the chipotle sour cream combine the sour cream and chipotle salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir until combined.
- Serve the meatballs with cooked rice, avocado, cherry tomatoes and chipotle sour cream. (optional)
Other Mexican recipes you might like
Mexican Chicken Salad with Creamy Jalapeño Dressing (Gluten Free)
How To Make Three Quesadillas With Two Chicken Thighs?
High Protein Breakfast Burritos with Eggs Beans and Bacon
Easy Chorizo Taquitos (Oven and Air Frier Method)