Pistachio crusted rack of lamb (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
I have to admit that when I was younger, I hated lamb. I thought that it had a weird smell and I avoided eating it. Later in life I decided I should give it another try. We went to a restaurant and I ordered lamb that had a crust made with nuts and herbs. It was so good that made me not only like lamb but crave it. This restaurant meal inspired me to create a similar recipe. My goal was to be able to cook this lamb at home instead of paying a premium price at the restaurant. The recipe for pistachio crusted rack of lamb came after some trial and error, but now it is perfect. The meat is juicy, flavorful, nutty and slightly smoky. The recipe is also gluten free and low carb.
Why should you make this recipe?
It is not so complicated to cook rack of lamb. It only seems fancy, but anyone can do it. You need to sear it first and then it goes in the preheated oven. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting the lamb to rest at least ten minutes after it has been cooked. Believe me, the smells in the kitchen are irresistible and you would want to eat it right away.
You should prepare the pistachio crusted rack of lamb to impress your guests. It can please even the pickiest eaters. Of course, only if you want them to come back.
What to serve it with?
I usually serve it with my baby potatoes with butter, garlic and dill. It goes very well with a fresh spring salad. On the pictures I paired with a Mediterranean couscous salad. Other possible sides are green beans or roasted vegetables.
Who is it good for?
This recipe is made gluten free and low carb. Therefore, it is good for people who follow keto or low carb diet. It is good for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance. People with diabetes can also enjoy this recipe without worrying about elevating their blood sugar level. The recipe is perfect for athletes, because it is very high in protein. It is not suitable for people with nut allergies.
Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb
- 1 rack of lamb
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp oil I used sunflower
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup roasted salted pistachios without the shell
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 3 Tbsp almond flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Carefully trim the hard layer of fat on the back of the rack of lamb.
- It should look something like this.
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides of the rack. Then dust the dry thyme and the smoked paprika on the lamb (one teaspoon per side). Use your hands to spread the spices evenly.
- Preheat a large cast iron pan (12'') and add 2 Tbsp of oil to it. Other pan would work too.
- Sear the rack of lamb on both sides until slightly browned (about 2 minutes per side).
- While the meat is searing prepare the pistachio crust. In a blender or food processor add the pistachios, the melted butter and the almond flour and blend together. If you don’t have a food processor you can chop the pistachios with a knife and mix them with the almond flour and butter in a bowl.
- Then remove the rack of lamb from the pan and spread the mustard on both sides of the meat. The mustard acts as a glue to the pistachio crust.
- Then use your hands to add the pistachio butter and almond flour mixture on both sides of the rack of lamb. Slightly press to help the crust stay in place.
- Then return the meat to the cast iron pan and bake for 20 minutes. If you don’t have a cast iron pan you can use a baking sheet.
- After it is done cooking, remove the lamb from the hot pan on a plate or a board and let it rest for minimum of 10 minutes before cutting.
- Carefully slice between the bones to for individual portions.