Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly Every Time)
One of my favorite ways to eat quinoa is in a breakfast bowl. I love to add some apples, cinnamon and walnuts to it and sweeten it with honey. It is a nourishing and tasty breakfast that gives me energy to start the day.
This is a recipe is popular online, so I’m not sure who thought of it first. The only difference is that in my blog post you can read how to get perfectly cooked quinoa. No more mushy or undercooked quinoa. This method works every time and it is easy to follow.
How to Cook Quinoa Perfectly Every Time?
You start by measuring and rinsing the quinoa. Use dry measuring cups to measure quinoa. Once you have the amount you need transfer it into a mesh strainer and wash it under running water. Drain it well and transfer it to a pot. To one part of quinoa add two parts of water (or to one cup quinoa you add two cups of water). Bring it to a boil fast and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the quinoa uncovered until all the water is all gone. Remove the pot from the heat and cover it with a lid. Do not touch it for 5 min. This will steam the quinoa and allow it to get perfectly fluffy. Once you have the perfect quinoa you can use it to prepare breakfast bowls, salads, main dishes or desserts.
Why should you make my recipe?
There are so many health benefits of consuming quinoa. It is one of the few plant foods that contains all nine essential amino acids. This makes it an excellent source of protein. Quinoa is also high on fiber, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium and many vitamins. It is also a low-calorie food that will keep you full for a long time.
You can make this recipe more heart healthy by using plant based oil and milk.
To make this quinoa breakfast bowl suitable to your taste just improvise with flavors and textures that you like. You can prepare it with raw or caramelized apples depending on the texture and flavor you want to achieve. You can also use nuts that you like. To make this recipe vegan or Paleo use plant-based milk (almond, coconut) and sweeten it with maple syrup instead of honey.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- ½ cup quinoa dry, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk of your choice I used whole
- 1 apple I like Fuji or Opal
- 1 tsp coconut oil other type of oil works too
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup walnuts
- honey or maple syrup
- Add ½ cup of dry quinoa in a mesh strainer and rinse it under a running water. Then strain it well and add it in a pot with 1 cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil on high and then reduce the heat to very low allowing it to simmer. Do not add a lid on top. Simmer until all the water is gone. Then remove from the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Keep it covered for 5 minutes. Then remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Cut the apple to small cubes.
- Add the coconut oil to a pan and preheat it to medium high. Add the apples and cook them for about 2 minutes or until they are slightly soft and caramelized. Then add the cinnamon and walnuts to the pan and stir well. Cook for another minute and remove from heat.
- To assemble the bowl add the quinoa to your favorite bowl, top it the apple and walnut mixture. Then pour the milk into the bowl and sweeten with honey or maple syrup.
- You can enjoy it warm or cold. Keep leftovers covered in the refrigerator for no longer than 2-3 days.