Scones with Smoked Gouda Jalapeño and Ham (Video)
Most people think that preparing homemade bread is difficult and time consuming. These scones with smoked gouda jalapeño and ham are proof that is not true. You can have delicious homemade bread with minimal effort in thirty minutes or less.
Why should you make this recipe?
You can serve these scones with smoked gouda jalapeño and ham for any meal and any time of the day. They are great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack or dinner. You can also serve them with a bowl of soup.
This recipe is easy and fast because the food processor is mixing the ingredients for the dough. You don’t have to knead by hand unless you prefer that method.
The scones are so delicious. They have buttery, smoky and spicy taste. Once you have a bite it is so hard to stop with just one.
How to measure flour? Always scoop more flour than you need in your cup and use a knife to level it off. If you have a scale use it, because measuring ingredients by weigh is always more accurate. One cup of flour contains exactly 4 oz or 125 grams of all purpose flour.
Everyone who knows me knows that I like to shred my cheese. I don’t buy cheese that is already shredded, because it contains a bunch of preservatives and anti-caking agents. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to consume that.
Your butter and buttermilk should be very cold. That will help you achieve the perfect texture.
I recommend using food grade gloves when you clean and chop jalapeños. The peppers could be very spicy and burn your fingers.
If you don’t have buttermilk you can replace it with whole milk. Just add few drops of lemon juice to it.
Scones with Smoked Gouda Jalapeño and Ham
- Food processor
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter very cold
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup shredded smoked Gouda
- ½ cup smoked ham cut to small cubes
- ¼ cup finely chopped jalapeños seeds and stems removed
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the jalapeños and ham to fine cubes. Shred the smoked Gouda.Dissolve the honey in the buttermilk.
- In a food processor add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt). Then cut the butter to cubes and ti to the dry ingredients. Start processing until the ingredients resemble crumbs. Then add the buttermilk and honey mixture and pulse few times until you have a dough. Finally add the ham, jalapeños and Gouda. Pulse a few more times.
- Transfer the dough on the baking sheet and form a circle (about 8 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick).
- Slice the dough in eight wedges.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they are baked (firm to touch and light brown).
- Remove them from the pan and cool them off slightly on a cooling rack. Serve while they are still warm.