Easy Sheet Pan Soup with Cauliflower and Corn
This easy sheet pan soup is delicious and made with seasonal vegetables. You are going to need one large sheet pan and a high-speed blender to prepare it. First you mix some spices. Then you sprinkle them over cauliflower florets, corn, shallots and garlic. Place few strips of bacon along with the seasoned vegetables on a sheet pan and bake. Then transfer the vegetables in a blender with some aromatic lemon zest and veggie broth. Blend until smooth and serve with the crumbled bacon and cubed jalapeño pepper. The soup is so creamy and flavorful it is hard to stop at one serving.
Why should you make this easy sheet pan soup?
Part of the answer to that question is in the title. This recipe is very easy. It takes minimum effort. You don’t have much chopping and stirring with that soup. All you need is to lay the ingredients on a baking sheet season them well and bake. This method adds so much flavor to the soup. You won’t be disappointed.
This soup is nutritious and made with seasonal vegetables. Seasonal produce is higher in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants than the one that is not in season. The climate, soil content and sun intensity contribute to its superior nutrient composition.
This recipe is also gluten and dairy free. Unlike most cream soups it doesn’t contain cream or cheese. If you remove the bacon the soup becomes heart healthy and vegan.
I make my own vegetable broth. When I cut and peel vegetables, I save the peels and the end pieces in the freezer. I usually have some carrot, onion, zucchini peels, some leftover onion and garlic pieces packed in a freezer safe bag. When I need broth, I add all of that in a pot of water and boil. I can also add some fresh herbs or whole peppercorns to the broth. It is the easiest way to make homemade broth.
You can use any type of broth or stock. If you have chicken or beef that would work too. My only advice is to use low sodium one. You want to be in control of the seasoning of the soup.
You can use corn that is already cut off the cob to reduce your preparation time. Stir halfway during baking to ensure even cooking.
The bacon might cook faster than the vegetables. Mine was thick and it cooked with the vegetables. it is best if you check on it and remove it from the baking sheet if needed.
Other possible toppings for that soup are sour cream, heavy cream, cheese, croutons, cilantro or whatever you like to add on top of your soup.
Easy Sheet Pan Soup with Cauliflower and Corn
- Food processor, blender
- 1 head of cauliflower about 2 lbs
- 2 shallots
- 1 whole garlic head
- 4 corn on the cob
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth I used homemade
- 1 Jalapeño pepper cut to small cubes
- the zest from one lemon
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut it to bite sized florets. Remove the husk from the corn on the cob. Don't peel but slice two shallots in half lengthwise and cut one end of a garlic head. Then transfer the cauliflower florets and the corn on a baking sheet. Place the shallots and the garlic with the slice towards the surface of the sheet pan. The peel will protect them from burning during baking.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and season them with salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl combine the turmeric, smoked paprika and cumin and dust it over the vegetables. Use your fingers to spread the seasoning evenly over the corn and cauliflower. Place three slices of bacon on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Stir the cauliflower halfway during baking and turn the corn. The bacon might be ready before the vegetables. Remove it on a plate with a paper towel and continue cooking the vegetables until they are soft and slightly browned.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and cool of at least 10 minutes before handling.
- While you wait heat up the broth you are going to use.
- Once the vegetables are cooled off, cut the corn off the cob and remove the peels from the garlic and shallots. Save about ½ cup of the cauliflower florets and corn for topping. Add the rest of the vegetables in a high speed blender. Add the zest of one lemon (or lime) and a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Then add the broth to the vegetables and blend until smooth.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Transfer the mixture into serving bowls and top with crumbled bacon, freshly cut jalapeño and some of the roasted corn and cauliflower. Serve while hot.
Other soup recipes you might like
Extra Smoky French Onion Soup with Mushrooms
Cold Avocado Soup with Lime Jalapeño and Mint
Winter Root Vegetable Soup with Homemade Croutons and Yogurt
Red Cabbage Soup with Parmesan and Caraway Seed Crackers
How to Prepare a Chicken Soup From a Raw Carcass and Two Wings?