Spaghetti Alfredo with One Chicken Beast and Mushrooms (For Two)
The recipe for spaghetti Alfredo is well known and loved by many. Like most Italian recipes it is easy, and it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. You can easily prepare it with some leftover pasta, cream, and parmesan. To my recipe I also added tender chicken breast and mushrooms.
In my family I prepare pasta only for our daughter and myself. My husband doesn’t eat and like pasta. That is why I became an expert when it comes to preparing pasta for two.
Why should you make this recipe?
This recipe is prefect for a romantic night with your partner. It is easy and you can prepare it in only thirty minutes. That way you will be free to enjoy the rest of the night with your loved one.
This recipe always comes to my mind when I have some leftovers that I don’t know how use. I often end up with one cup of heavy cream that I can’t find a use for. When I buy a whole chicken, I split it up to two breasts, two thighs, two drumsticks, wings and carcass. I make a salad with one of the breasts and with the other one I make this spaghetti Alfredo.
Click here to learn how to cook five meals from one raw chicken.
For this recipe I used whole wheat spaghetti from Delallo. I love the taste and texture of that pasta. This post is not sponsored, and the link is not affiliate.
Cook the spaghetti to your liking. I recommend following the directions on the package.
You can use other types of mushrooms, but I recommend using raw ones. The canned mushrooms can add acidity to the dish. I personally like fresh cremini better than white button mushrooms.
If you want to have a good tasting Alfredo sauce, use real, freshly grated Parmesan cheese. You can find it in the refrigerated section of the grocery store with the rest of the cheese. I never use pre-grated cheese in any of my recipes. I don’t like how many extra additives and anti-caking agents it has.
Lower the heat when you add the cream. Don’t let it boil. Stir constantly while you are making the sauce. It should simmer gently.
Season every step of the way. Add salt to the pasta water. Then to the chicken and the mushrooms. Finally check the sauce for seasoning.
Spaghetti Alfredo with One Chicken Beast and Mushrooms
- 4 oz dry uncooked spaghetti I used whole wheat
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast Skinless and boneless
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 garlic clove pressed or finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley or basil for serving optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add water in a deep pot. Bring it to boil and add salt. Then boil the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking preheat a deep pan to medium high and add the oil it. Cut the breast to bite size pieces and cook it for about a minute per side. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
- In the same pan add the sliced mushrooms and a Tablespoon of butter.
- Cook the mushrooms for a minute. Stir and add the pressed garlic clove. Cook for another minute and stir. Add salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream to the mushrooms. Stir slowly and continuously for about 5 minutes or until the cream reduces a bit. Then add the grated Parmesan and continue stirring for about a minute or until the sauce thickens.
- Don’t forget to check on your spaghetti while cooking the chicken and mushrooms. When the pasta is ready drain the water through a colander.
- Finally add the chicken and the pasta in the pan with the sauce and remove from the heat. Check for seasoning before serving and add more salt if needed.
- Serve with extra Parmesan and fresh parsley or basil.