The Best Use of Overripe Bananas. Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
This triple chocolate banana bread is a dream come true for any chocoholic. It is so delicious and rich that it tastes more like a cake than a banana bread. To achieve the irresistible chocolate flavor, I added cacao powder and chocolate chips in the batter and a layer of Nutella in the middle of the bread. That guarantees that you will get some chocolate with every bite you take.
Why should you make the triple chocolate banana cake
Make this banana bread because it is one of the most delicious things you will ever taste. It is so moist and decadent that you won’t be able to stop at one slice. Bananas and chocolate complement each other so well. It is one of the best dessert pairings.
You can have it as a dessert, breakfast, on the go snack, or pack it in a lunch box. You can also bake this yummy bread for your loved ones, bring it to a potluck or a gathering.
Reduce food waste by using those overripe bananas for baking. Since they are already sweet, you don’t have to use as much sugar for this recipe.
How to measure flour?
Always scoop more flour than you need in your cup and use a knife to level it off. If you have a scale use it, because measuring ingredients by weigh is always more accurate. One cup of flour contains exactly 4 oz or 125 grams of all purpose flour.
tips about making the Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
You can use a stand mixer to make this bread, but don’t worry if you don’t have one. I used a bowl a potato masher (to mash the bananas) a whisk and a spatula.
I use unsweetened cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. The cacao powder is raw and less processed. It is very important to use unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder.
Baking time might be different depending on the oven and the material of the bread pan. I recommend using a wooden toothpick or to check if the bread is ready. To do that you insert the toothpick in the middle of the bread and then take it out. If the toothpick is dry your bread is ready to come out of the oven.
I used Nutella for this recipe. If you want to make this bread a bit healthier you can also use my recipe for homemade chocolate hazelnut spread.
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 large, very ripe bananas 1½ cup mashed
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar I used coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips of choice I used milk
- ¼ cup chocolate hazelnut spread I used Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 355F. Line a loaf pan (9×5 inches) with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a deep bowl add 3 bananas and mash them to a purée. You should have about 1½ cup mashed bananas.
- To the bananas add the eggs, melted butter, vanilla and sugar and beat with a mixer or a whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Then add the dry ingredients: flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use a spatula to stir until combined and then add the chocolate chips. Safe some chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the bread. Stir again.
- Transfer half of the batter into the bread pan and spread the Nutella on top. Then cover the Nutella with the rest of the batter. Add some chocolate chips on top and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Once the bread is baked use oven mitts to remove it from the pan and cool it off on a rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Store leftover banana bread covered on the counter top for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Other recipes with ripe bananas you might like
The Best Homemade Whole Wheat Banana Waffles
Three Ingredient Cookies with Banana and Coconut (Gluten Free)
Double Chocolate Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Swirl (Healthy)
Flourless Banana Peanut Butter Muffins (Gluten and Grain Free)
Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Muffins with Ripe Bananas (Video)